Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are "illegals" ruining the American economy?

Are "illegals" ruining the American economy?

For the last time: NO http://www.itep.org/pdf/immigration2016.pdf

Posted - September 2, 2016

Responses

• Those that are least capable to defend themselves are always the first to get kicked in the teeth.

Like gun control...2nd ammendment people bitch & whine about mentally unstable people committing shootings, yet they don't want to prevent them from being able to procure a firearm and they are also the ones who are inclined to complain and decide against providing funding for mental health care.

We have people who are on EBT. How DARE them buy food that is good for them! They should all subside on powederd milk and Kraft Mac&Cheese.

And the homeless.  Move along, little homeless poor person. You can't stay here. We don't care where you die, but you can't die here. It cheapens our property values and ruins our meals 

September 6, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

• Perhaps...Remind me again who is in charge of the Senate and Congress?

September 6, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

Currently the Republicans but...
    Over the past 100 years the Democratic party has held power nearly twice as long as the Republicans in both the Senate and the House. And the Democratic party has had control of the White House and the two Houses of Congress for 35 years, compared to 16 years for the Republican party over the last 100 years.
      September 6, 2016 7:06 PM MDT

I believe there are negative effects.

The problem is one of skills and ability. I will say that a lifetime of working in the IT industry has taught me that there are simply not enough smart people to fill every position. Because of the difference of american dollars to much of the world that problem could be solved very easily by allowing the millions of engineers and professors and doctors who want to live here, live here. These are all people who would be productive and pay a high rate of tax and they would have gone through background checks to make sure they are not criminal and are not likely to need taxpayer support. They would enable business to fill positions with people capable of the demands.

Instead of bringing in millions of those people we are allowing millions of low skill workers to walk across the border illegally with no sort of background check. There are already too many people competing for the low skill jobs and this is driving down wages and hurting a big part of the people.  I think there is no real benefit to having so many workers who are limited to the same types of job.

September 6, 2016 8:02 PM MDT

Typical Salt and Red Pepper reading comprehension: I asked him to back up a number of positive claims.

September 7, 2016 1:18 PM MDT

Let's put it this way: when Trump says that "they are bringing drugs", that's certainly true. What he fails to mention is that the flow of drugs going north across the Mexico-US border exists to feed America's voracious appetite for drugs.

September 7, 2016 1:55 PM MDT

Kind of hard to do background checks on people who are entering illegally. Most "illegals" are simply people who have overstayed their visas. So really, walls aren't the answer. You need to either deny any kind of visa, or bring back temporary work visas so they can do what they are doing already, but legally.

I agree on the skilled workers though. One problem is that there are many immigrants with engineering degrees, medical degrees, etc., but their credentials are not recognized here. Perhaps more could be done to make the transfer of educational credentials easier.

September 7, 2016 2:19 PM MDT

I do not think the first point is true - I think there are millions who are illegal and who never had a visa with only potentially thousands who did have a visa.  You don't come with a visa and then stay illegally, it will bite you.

Some credentials are not recognized, that is true. Often there is good reason because not all credentials should be recognized.  My parents had no problem at all with these because they had proper degrees and experience and skills.  There are millions around the world with that, ready to come and be paid very well for their skill, but it is more difficult for them than just running across a border and then being allowed to stay.

September 8, 2016 6:20 AM MDT