Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Why do you think so many celebrities change their names? Example: Jack Benny/Benjamin Kubelsky.

Why do you think so many celebrities change their names? Example: Jack Benny/Benjamin Kubelsky.

Also, many of them were/are Jewish.

Posted - November 5, 2019

Responses

think some of them do.  
      November 5, 2019 3:56 PM MST

The question is 'Why...'. It is also many.
      November 5, 2019 3:59 PM MST

Privacy. To separate their past, personal and family lives from their public lives.

Image. The birth or given names are awkward, plain or unsuitable.
    How tough a guy could Marion Morrison be? 
    Would anyone swoon for a Norma Jean Baker, or pay any mind to a rapper calling himself Calvin Broadus? 

November 5, 2019 4:07 PM MST

I wouldn't pay any mind to any rapper.
      November 5, 2019 4:14 PM MST

Me either, but it‘s a generational thing. 
      November 5, 2019 4:17 PM MST

Persecution of Jews might also have something to do with it. Even in the USA. When my grandfather moved here from Russia, he changed his name from Goldstein to Davis.
      November 5, 2019 4:23 PM MST

I prefer all of those original names.
    :)
      November 5, 2019 6:58 PM MST

David Bowie changed his name to avoid being confused with Davy Jones from The Monkees. John Denver changed his because "Henry J Deutschendorf, Jr" wouldn't fit on a record label, same with Ritchie Valens (Ricardo Valenzuela). Ringo Starr decided that "Richard Starkey" was too bland, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Peter Criss changed theirs because they thought that Gene Klein, Stanley Eisen and George Criscoula would be less appealing to their fans.
      November 5, 2019 8:31 PM MST