Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Did you hear about Trump's latest legal loss?

Did you hear about Trump's latest legal loss?

A New York judge ruled on Tuesday that Donald trump, his two adult sons, and several of his associates are liable for fraud. The ruling establishes that Trump overvalued his properties and inflated his net worth over several years, thus deceiving banks, investors, and insurers. 

The ruling strips Trump and several of his co-defendants of their business licenses within New York. On October 2nd a trial will begin to see what Trump will have to pay in damages - which is expected to be around 250 million dollars. Cheers!

Posted - September 26, 2023

Responses

They passed a bill for $300 million of aid to Ukraine with 311 yea votes, including about 100 Republicans.
      September 29, 2023 8:29 AM MDT

Again, I do not think we should be funding Nazis in Urkaine.  
      September 29, 2023 4:27 PM MDT

A whole bunch of House members disagree with you. And why are you calling them Nazis?
      September 29, 2023 6:29 PM MDT

I did not call the Congress people Nazis.  I am saying they voted to support Nazis who are fighting in Ukraine. They are part of the military of Urkaine.
    Did you see Canada Pres and Ukraine  President just gave a standing ovation in Parliament to a Nazi from WWII Waffen SS division? Quite a disgusting action. 
      September 30, 2023 5:09 AM MDT

Is the president of Canada fighting in Ukraine?

And this doesn’t mean the Ukrainian army is made up of Nazis. Quite a leap of logic on your part.

As for Congress, Marjorie Taylor Greene is probably the only one close to being a Nazi.
      September 30, 2023 7:58 AM MDT

So just back to name calling of Congress people?

Ukraine has a long history of supporting Nazis.   They are in their military. Their brigade??? Is considered the most elite of the Ukraine military.   

Urkaine Pres and Canada Pres praising Nazi veteran in Canadian Parliament. 
      September 30, 2023 9:00 AM MDT

No, just bigoted crazies like Greene of Jewish space laser fame.
      September 30, 2023 1:27 PM MDT

You do know she never said Jewish Space Lazer, right?
      September 30, 2023 1:55 PM MDT

I’m sure she denied it.
      September 30, 2023 3:20 PM MDT

She did not say it at all.
      September 30, 2023 3:23 PM MDT

But here’s a direct quote: “An unholy alliance of leftists, capitalists, and Zionist supremacists has schemed to promote immigration and miscegenation, with the deliberate aim of breeding us out of existence in our own homelands.”

Is that antisemitic enough for you? It’s exactly the sort of language used by Hitler to justify persecution of German Jews.
      September 30, 2023 6:42 PM MDT

That is also not a direct quote from MTG. 
    That is a voice over from a video that she retreated.   

So you are all over MTG for opposing open borders who Soros supports with his Open Society Foundation.  But excuse the Nazis currently in Ukraine and these Presidents honoring them from WWII?   

Yet ask others to explain their moral ethics??
      October 1, 2023 4:56 AM MDT

One questionable comment that may have only happened according to you doesn’t mean Ukraine is full of Nazis. Where do you get this crazy stuff?
      October 1, 2023 8:14 AM MDT

Since you believe Google is your friend.  You Google it.  Ukraine has a long history of Nazism.  
      October 5, 2023 4:35 AM MDT

Stu,  This information about Nazis in Ukraine is more of Russia's disinformation campaign. History is complicated and this link might explain why Putin is using de-nazification to justify his invasion. There were and are nazi sympathizers in both the US and Ukraine, but it is not the ruling force. 

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-israel-europe-tel-aviv-54f1524afdf732d1716782e01accc089
      October 5, 2023 4:56 AM MDT

Worried he might see what I am saying.   Look for articles from before the invasion....Western media were reporting on Urkaine Nazi problems.
      October 5, 2023 6:56 AM MDT

I get your point, yes. But, I repeat my first sentence up there somewhere in the thread -- I think an issue both sides need to agree on is to respect each other while working together. 
    And it so often that does not exist. 

It is many politicians'  behaviors that get in the way -- not the issues. (In my opinion.)

I see many children behave with more respect to each other than what I see from some politicians.

EDIT: This is a crazy-to-me thread try to follow, ha -- this reply is to my2cetns' post to me on Page Two (at least, Page Two at the moment) in which she asked me if I thought there were issues either "side' could agree on.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 5, 2023 7:10 AM MDT
      October 4, 2023 8:26 PM MDT

So gridlock but be polite. 

I am fine with gridlock myself. I would rather no laws than getting bad laws. 
      October 5, 2023 6:59 AM MDT

Yeah, politeness can be cool. And, at least, a first step to respect.

And I do still get your point and I smiled at your mention of sometimes everyone may agree on renaming a post office.  :)
      October 6, 2023 7:29 PM MDT

Hello my:

A bank is defrauded when a borrower LIES to it..  It matters not that they didn't actually lose money.    If I ROB a bank, but they catch me in my getaway car and return the money, did I rob the bank?   If I LIED on my mortgage application, but made all the payments, was I guilty of fraud??  If your spouse CHEATED on you but you didn't catch them, was that OK?

Just sayin...

excon This post was edited by excon at September 29, 2023 8:06 AM MDT
      September 28, 2023 9:21 AM MDT

Values of a property are subjective.  That is why banks have THEIR people do the appraising for properties they will be involved with.  If a bank just takes my word for the value then it really did not matter to the bank.    If it mattered the bank would have used their appraisers. 

Your examples are not the same because there was actions involved. 
    A better comparison would be if someone applies for a job and added or embellished  their job history.    And I do not bother to check their references or do a back ground check. But I hire them anyway.  And then they are an excellent employee for years until the job is finished.   Should the government come in and arrest this good employee for lying to me on his job application, even though I am a happy former employer? 
      September 29, 2023 5:30 AM MDT

What confuses me is that the judge was able to summarily determine the Trumps are guilty.  I'm guessing there was not to be a jury trial - that it would have been only before the judge - because according to the judge, the evidence was so overwhelming against the Trumps that it didn't warrant a trial.  I'm sure the Trump lawyers already had the appeal ginned up and ready to go.
      September 27, 2023 10:25 AM MDT

That’s because it‘s a civil lawsuit, and it was a pre trial ruling. Civil cases in New York only have juries of six people when they go to trial, and many trials are conducted without juries. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at September 28, 2023 10:43 AM MDT
      September 27, 2023 11:19 AM MDT

Thanks.
      September 28, 2023 10:05 AM MDT

The way I understand it, the facts are so clear that the judge said there is nothing for the jury to decide. I read the summary judgment and it's pretty astounding. He claimed his own apartment that he lives in, was three time bigger than it actually is and worth $327M, more than any apartment in NYC has ever sold for. He valued Mar-a-Lago at $627M and the tax valuation is $27M. And the list goes on....he owns a lot of real estate. 
      September 27, 2023 8:30 PM MDT